7 Things I've Learned about Writers by Writing my MA Dissertation
What skilled writers do
My Master’s dissertation in Professional Development for Language Education focuses on helping non-native English writers self-assess their writing.
I’ve written the first 3000 words and here are 7 things I’ve learned from the academic literature on what skilled writers do.
- Spend time planning what they’re going to write about.
- Develop a flexible plan at the pre-writing stage.
- Are clear about what their piece is for and who it’s for.
- Know how to generate ideas for writing.
- Don’t worry about language accuracy and form when writing a first draft.
- Keep revising their draft by only focusing on content organisation, clarity, and depth.
- Understand that writing is not linear but recursive.
Edit (12.01.2024): I wrote a longer article about this.